Committee & Caucuses
Congressman Smith serves on the Committee on Ways and Means which puts him on the front lines in the debate on how to create jobs, promote economic growth, and directly impact tax policy. Smith serves on the Subcommittee on Trade and the Subcommittee on Health.
The Committee on Ways and Means is the oldest committee of the United States Congress, and it derives a large share of its jurisdiction from Article I, Section VII of the U.S. Constitution which declares, “All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives.”
The roster of committee members who have gone on to serve in higher office is impressive. Eight Presidents and eight Vice Presidents have served on Ways and Means, as have 21 Speakers of the House of Representatives, and four Justices of the Supreme Court.
- Congressional Rural Caucus (Chair)
- Congressional Rural Veterans Caucus (Chair)
- Modern Agriculture Caucus (Chair)
- Congressional Pro-Life Caucus
- Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus
- Congressional Western Caucus
- Congressional General Aviation Caucus