2012 Farm Bill Listening Tour
"Agriculture plays a fundamental role in the economic future of Nebraska, our country, and the entire world. It is critical we work to create policies which will strengthen American agriculture while implementing a responsible risk management system. I look forward to input from Nebraskans over the coming weeks and months." - Congressman Adrian Smith
Upcoming Farm Bill Listening Tour Schedule:
All events are open to the public. To view photos from Congressman Smith's stops in Gering, McCook, Aurora, Valentine, and North Platte click here.
Monday, April 30th
Central Community College – Lexington Center, 1501 Plum Creek Parkway, Lexington, NE
4:00 – 5:00 PM CT
Media Availability: 5:00 PM CT
Wednesday, May 2nd
Corps Discovery Welcome Center, 89705 Hwy 81, Crofton, NE
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM CT
Media Availability: 12:30 PM CT
Friday, May 4th
Jefferson County Courthouse, District Court Room, 411 4th Street, Fairbury, NE
1:30 – 2:30 PM CT
Media Availability: 2:30 PM CT
- The typical Nebraska farmer feeds 155 people per year.
- Experts predict the world's population will reach 9 billion by 2050, meaning by that time the U.S. will have to double agriculture output while limiting our environmental footprint.
- Nebraska ranks 4th in the nation in agriculture exports and 1st in meat production.
- Nutrition programs such as food stamps and other assistance programs account for more than 3/4 of all Farm Bill spending.
- Agriculture plays a vital role in biofuel production, which is essential to an all of the above energy strategy.
Additional research can be found through Congressional Research Services (CRS):
FY 2012 Appropriations
What Is the "Farm Bill"?
Actual Farm Bill Spending and Cost Estimates
Previewing the Next Farm Bill: Unfunded and Early-Expiring Provisions
Federal Crop Insurance: Background and Issues
Share your ideas with Congressman Smith about the Farm Bill here.